ARTISTS FELLOWSHIP AND EXHIBITION: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The Roger Smith Hotel is thrilled to announce the Second Annual Roger Smith Artist Fellowship
At Vermont Studio Center
Application Deadline: February 15, 2018
The fellowship provides an opportunity for an artist to create a site-specific show at an iconic New York arts hotel, the Roger Smith in Midtown Manhattan. It includes 1 month of working time at Vermont Studio Center and culminates with a Fall show in the Lobby of the hotel.
Application Process and Deadlines:
Application opens: January 1st, 2018
Deadline for application: February 15th, 2018
Exhibition: Fall 2018 (September-December) in the Lobby at The Roger Smith Hotel.
Length of residency: 4 weeks, taken between April and September 2018
All VSC fellowships include: private room in shared housing, private studio space, all meals, and full participation in Vermont Studio Center residency program.
This award is open to visual artists based in the New York metro area. The work should be 2D wall-based, such as painting, photography, printmaking, drawing, collage.
Applications are accepted online at:
Choose the program: ‘Visual Artist – 2/15/18 Fellowship Applicant’
VSC application guidelines require:
- 5 images of current work (upload your files in the sequence you would like them to be viewed
- A CV
- The names and contact information for two referees
In addition, applicants must also submit a PDF document that contains the following:
- A 200 words artist’s statement
- A Project proposal, in no more than 400 words – you may embed images if useful. 1)Describe your proposed work and how it will be formulated for the Lobby at the Roger Smith Hotel exhibition space, please reference the space’s floor plan (see below). 2)Tell us why you are interested in the combination residency/exhibition fellowship opportunity
- Please bear in mind the durability of the proposed work as it would be presented in a high foot traffic area, not a traditional gallery space.
- A site visit to the lobby is strongly recommended in order to inform a competitive proposal. Please feel free to visit the hotel anonymously or contact Danika Druttman at firstname.lastname@example.org
- As this is an opportunity for artists to show work at the Roger Smith and discover VSC, we are not able to consider anyone who has presented at the hotel or has in the past been a resident at VSC.
The Roger Smith is a family run hotel in Midtown Manhattan. For over 30 years the owners and employees have been committed to shaping and growing a diverse and organic cultural footprint both within the hotel and beyond. With a continued desire to converse and engage with guests, with New York and places further afield, The Roger Smith Hotel’s creative program seeks to create big opportunities, pleasurable experiences, inspiring happenings and intelligent dialogues.
The Vermont Studio Center was founded by artists in 1984. Our location–situated along the banks of the Gihon River in the historic village of Johnson, Vermont–was chosen with the intention of fostering creativity through community, collaboration, and quiet reflection supported by the unspoiled beauty of the northern Green Mountains.
Over the last 30 years, VSC has grown to become the largest international artists’ and writers’ residency program in the United States. Our mission is to provide studio residencies in an inclusive, international community, honoring creative work as the communication of spirit through form.